Tuesday, July 23, 2013

In the end what matters most is how well did you love, how well did you live, how well did you learn to let go.

As I walked into a shop in Canterbury, this piece of wisdom looked right out at me. It seems to me it may be the theme of this pilgrim journey. Remember, it is a sabbatical in three movements, reclaiming roots, renewing relationship, refreshing the spirit. It seems to me that in renewing roots, spending time with children and family, I am reminded about love, unconditional, messy, hard, exhilarating, painful, joyous. It seems to me that in renewing relationship, spending time with Rick, seeing amazing sites, just being together in places that are older than our imaginations, living together, loving one another and others, has new meaning. And this part of refreshment is really about letting go. As I have let go of what I think I should be doing, and let the journey unfold and make it's own way, I have been awestruck. 
Canterbury and Canterbury cathedral fed my spirit. I went to Holy Communion in the morning, Evensong, amazing Evensong in the evening, and in between I walked, and read, and relaxed. 




A "full" English breakfast. It's all I need to eat for the whole day!

I have been taking photos of doors, hmm, 

A little crooked


very old


not sure where they all lead or what it's all about. 

This afternoon in Durham, I will see the Lindisfarne Gospels, an illuminated gospel written in the community of St. Cuthbert on the Holy Island. As I was reading about that, a question asked itself of me,

Pilgrim, what are you looking for?


And just so you know it's me behind the camera, here's one of me in front of the camera, kind of....


and just for fun...


who knew, Krispy Kreme in Durham!







1 comment:

Unknown said...

Simply brilliant my dear friend.

4 Easter Yr B April 21 2024, Christ the King (Sturgeon Bay, WI) - Holy Nativity (Jacksonport, WI)

4 Easter Yr B April 21 2024, Christ the King (Sturgeon Bay, WI) - Holy Nativity (Jacksonport, WI) Acts 4:5-12, 1 John 3:16-24, John 10:11-18...