Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Dear Mr. President



November 7, 2012

Dear Mr. President

Congratulations! I am pleased at your re-election, although I know many who are not. My experience is that important things take time, and governing a country is important work.

The reason for my writing to you this day is to offer a couple of suggestions. Now I know I don’t know anything about governing a country, but I do know something about helping people to ask important questions and talking about the answers without trying to convince each other about the right, or only, or correct answer. And I have observed that the people who we have elected are having a lot of trouble talking to one another and coming up with solutions to some Big Issues.

My experience has taught me that people tend to come together and have conversation over a meal. People tend to actually see each other when they are eating together, and when you actually see the other, it is so much harder to dismiss them. So my suggestion is that you schedule some potluck meals. Don’t even assign what people need to bring, just leave that up to grace. It really works well.

Secondly, it is my experience that people all over the political spectrum show up for choir rehearsal. You can look in many church parking lots during choir rehearsal and see bumper stickers on cars that say “Coexist”, and “I’ll keep my money, my freedom, and my guns, and you can keep the change”, and “Republican health plan: don’t get sick” and one of my personal favorites, “Well behaved women rarely make history.” The point is, when people sing together all of their harmonies make music. I think you should have congress sing together. Songs like “My country, ‘tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing,” or “O beautiful for spacious skies,” which happen to be in my hymnal, or “This land is your land, this land is my land,” or “If I had a hammer,” or, well, you get the idea. Singing together creates community, and community is about relationship, and relationship is what the members of congress need to get something done.


Blessings on you, humbly,

The Rev. Kathy Monson Lutes

No comments:

4 Easter Yr B April 21 2024, Christ the King (Sturgeon Bay, WI) - Holy Nativity (Jacksonport, WI)

4 Easter Yr B April 21 2024, Christ the King (Sturgeon Bay, WI) - Holy Nativity (Jacksonport, WI) Acts 4:5-12, 1 John 3:16-24, John 10:11-18...